MOI3D mesher plugin for Rhino? Closed

2398.20 In reply to 2398.9 
Hi Jonah,

> Why not just create a method to export the mesh objects
> to a 3DM file. then we import 3DM to Rhino and all layer
> names, groupings, etc can be preserved?

That would solve that particular problem, but possibly cause some other confusion about exporting in 2 possible different ways to the same format.

MoI is able to determine which file format to use based on the file extension - for example if do a "SaveAs" you can just type in c:\test.obj without altering the file type dropdown in the filename dialog, and MoI sees that you are using an .obj extension and therefore knows to export an .obj file.

But if you have 2 different formats using the same extension.... That mechanism will not work to differentiate between them.

Another difficulty is that MoI will not read polygon mesh objects out of a 3DM file, so writing polygon mesh data from MoI could pretty easily lead to confusion as to why some 3DM files that you save cannot be loaded back into MoI. This could be particularly bad since 3DM is the primary file format for MoI.

Note that Rhino does not itself have a method to do a "SaveAs" to a Polygon-only 3DM file (with the mesh conversion done during the save process as per other poly file formats) for these same kinds of reasons.

I suppose it is something that could be added that was only available for scripts and not as a normal part of the UI. But that would probably only be of use just to a Rhino plugin and not really for other general purpose use, that means it will probably be difficult for me to make that work a priority anytime soon, compared to other functions that are more widely used - same as how making a Rhino plugin myself is hard for me to make a high priority.

- Michael