Saving + placing camera views?

2396.13 In reply to 2396.12 
Hi rhodesy,

re: projection

> it would just be a question of having them all in one
> group on completion. Do you think that is a good/feasible idea?

Actually, that's why the results of the projection are all selected when the command is finished - that lets you apply whatever operation you want to that projected results... That should include being able to set them as a group once grouping is possible, of course!

I probably won't try to generate groups from disconnected objects in a totally automatic way, that can tend to make for extra steps for ungrouping the results for the cases when someone wants to just deal with the plain geometry directly.

Maybe I don't quite understand what you are asking for though...

> Sometimes my camera will twist its way into a strange orbit
> and i'll end up looking at something on its side or upside down.

What do you currently have set under Options > View > Rotate/Pan/Zoom options > Rotation style ? Is there any chance that you have changed this from the default "Rotate around world z axis" option to the "Free Rotation" option? If so you may want to switch that back to the "around world axis" method - that should keep your view untwisted.

Otherwise I may need to see some screenshots of the type of view twisting that you're talking about - it should not be normally necessary to do a bunch of little circles to change the view, unless you have switched to that "Free rotation" style which does not try to keep your head pointing "upwards".

> one camera for close up modelling and another to see
> the wider impact of those changes.

Currently you can do a similar thing by using the "Reset" button at the bottom of the viewport. If you select an object, one press of "Reset" will zoom in so that object fills the screen, and then a second press will go out to view the entire model.

So a combination of Zoom Area (if you want to go to a specific point rather than a particular object or sub-object) and Reset lets you do a similar kind of view manipulation now.

> So thank you so much for you responses michael.

You're very welcome! :)

It helps me a lot to have these discussions as well, I really get quite a lot of ideas for how to improve things this way too!

But some things will go a bit slowly with MoI as well, like I tend to go pretty slow whenever adding things that would require a lot of new UI, that is why it has taken so long to get to object organization type tools.

- Michael