T-Splines

2359.22 In reply to 2359.20 
Hi PaQ,

> Just wondering, because of the parenting link between
> MoI and Rhino, is it really a lot of work to build a
> Tspline for MoI version ?

Basically the internal guts of MoI and Rhino are pretty different.

I mean there are general similarities like MoI and a point picker mechanism and Rhino has a point picker mechanism.

But the details of them are really different. When I was doing the architecture for MoI I was focused a lot more on doing a kind of "next generation" start-from-clean-slate improvement of things rather than trying to maintain exact compatibility with Rhino's internal architecture.

Especially anything having to do with UI is very different, for example Rhino commands expect to interact with the user through the command line, and tell Rhino to show text options on the command line - MoI's UI does not have a command line, MoI instead expects for commands to interact with the user by the command options area where it shows buttons, checkboxes, and GUI controls like that, and these are defined by HTML documents which is a much different structure than Rhino's command line options.

So anything involving UI would certainly involve a lot of work and cannot just be automatically moved over.

Things which do not involve any UI are always a lot easier to do, but a lot of the value of T-splines revolves around using a sub-d modeling approach which has a lot of UI to go along with it...

- Michael