Feature Idea: More Display Meshing Parameters

2346.2 In reply to 2346.1 
Hi LOTRJ, yup I've thought about that some before too, I do want to give that idea a try to reduce detail on small sized features.

Right now something like a really thin little fillet will get meshed with the same number of polygons as a large one, when you have a whole bunch of small fillets that can really add up to quite a large amount of memory being used.

It can be kind of difficult to choose a good cutoff point though, it will take some time to experiment with it which is why I haven't been able to try it quite yet.

> Also, what exactly does 'Add detail to inflections' do?

Well, an "inflection point" is an area where curvature switches from one side of a curve or surface to the other.

Like for instance in this curve here:

Because it is kind of a key point where a surface is changing form, it can tend to make some more noticeable shading anomalies if not enough polygons were created in areas like that.

Here's an example of that shape extruded. With "Add detail to inflections" turned off you can see some display artifacts on the object:

When "Add detail to inflections" is enabled, the display mesher will look for these kinds of inflection points and ensure that they are subdivided an extra time or two in those areas, making for a smoother display in these areas:

However, it can tend to add quite a lot of polygons as well, so if you are trying to reduce the weight of the display mesh it is good to turn it off, since currently it does not automatically turn off on small sized things.

Partly this extra setting is there because the display mesher takes some shortcuts to only sample the curvature of a surface at a fewer number of spots than the export mesher does, because that takes a lot of additional time.

- Michael