Import SDs' to MoI

2345.2 In reply to 2345.1 
Hi ghan,

I did some research on that area few months ago, if you are talking about how convert sds models into nurbs one, there are few solutions:

- Tspline (for rhino or maya) can convert sds cage into a t-spline version. The result is pretty clean, but out of prize for me. The cool
thing is that t-splines support non rectangular topology, the bad thing is that you still have to convert them into nurbs to use them in MoI or Rhino.
But you have a good control of the patch continuity when converting the cage object, that will help to smooth the result even better.

- Maya can also convert sds into nurbs, you don't have the same smoothness that tspline>nurbs solution, but it might be quite usable for some work.

The software you're talking will 'only' convert poly's into nurbs plane if I understand, so you lost the sds part, you only get the cage object rebuild with nurbs plane. There is a command in rhino (_MeshtoNurbs if I remember) than will more less do the same ... I use it to import some draft model as reference, nothing more.

Waiting the day that MoI will import a poly cage object and convert them into a nurbs vesion like maya can do :) ... that would allow an amazing workflow and a great connection between the two worlds ^^

EDITED: 21 Jan 2009 by PAQ