V2 beta Jan-19-2009 available now

2333.60 In reply to 2333.58 
Hi Brian, some good ideas there!

Unfortunately it is not necessarily an easy task for me to implement these ideas.

Just to be clear - it would take me many hours and probably even weeks worth of work to make the things that you want to happen here.

I'm not sure if you think that I can just push a button or something and make MoI work like this?

Unfortunately it doesn't really work like that at all, I have to pretty painstakingly write a lot of custom computer code to add and test functions to do these things.

It is hard to prioritize spending weeks of work on this particular area, since it only seems to cause problems for a very small number of people. The current system is kind of primitive but it is effective and basically it is something that you just go in and set up once and you're done, it is not an area of the software that people are using on a frequent basis. (the shortcut key editor I mean).

So it is not a very good trade-off currently to apply my limited amount of development time to this area rather than a more frequently used area.

I don't have super-human abilities, so it is not generally possible for me to work on many different areas all at the exact same time. So that means that the time I would spend working on this area would require me to not spend time on other more frequently used areas.

That's not a good payoff.

Because my time is limited, it can really be more effective if I try to apply my time towards areas that benefit more frequently used areas of the software, rather than rarely used areas.

I hope that explains the situation more clearly!

It is because of these reasons I have explained here that I do not expect to have major overhauls of this particular area of MoI anytime soon.

> I would envisage all (note all) the scrips to be included
> in MoI as standard, <...>

Scripts are something that I generate sort of "on the fly" on an as-needed basis to help people do some particular task that they are asking about.

Like I've mentioned previously, I don't have psychic abilities, so it is not generally possible for me to foretell every single script that will be requested, which is basically what would be required for me to put them all into the software all in advance.

I'm kind of surprised that you get so frustrated when I post scripts to help people do a particular task. To me that seems like helping someone out with a bit of a custom logic specific to their particular needs. I guess from what you have said you would rather that I not help people out with their specific individual problems?

At any rate, I have now added some more information to the wiki page here:
http://moi3d.com/wiki/Shortcut_Keys
which now contains all the information on mouse modifier keys as well, like what Ctrl+drag does, etc...

So that contains all the information about the default keyboard use that I know about, does that fulfill the need that you had about having a documentation page that covered keyboard shortcuts?

- Michael