V2 beta Jan-19-2009 available now

2333.20 In reply to 2333.19 
Hi AW,

> opening of files seems a little snappier too (might just be
> the excitement))!!!

I think that opening of files should probably be the same... Probably just some feeling of momentum carrying over from the other speedups! :)

But now that I have a thread-safe meshing mechanism it will open up the door for me to do some things that will speed up file opening for real though.

I should be able to get the display mesher to run on multiple cores now - currently the display mesher (which is used during file open) does not use multiple cores, only the file export mesher is doing that now.

Then the other thing that I've been thinking of doing is to do an initial pretty rough display mesh (or even skip doing it and have only edge wires initially if it takes more than a couple of seconds), and then do a higher density display mesh calculation in the background. The higher density display meshes would kind of spool in while you are able to do other work on the model.

Those are some ideas anyway! Actually I don't think these will be all that difficult, the difficult part of these was to make the meshing engine thread safe which is all done now. But kind of a good first stage is to get that tested here first with the export meshing in this new release.

- Michael