V2 beta Jan-19-2009 available now

2333.13 In reply to 2333.10 
Hi LOTRJ,

> I just wish that it placed triangles better in quad+tri mode
> now... Right now it makes a mesh that is very hard to
> UV unwrap.

I don't know if it will help any or not, but there is one setting in the moi.ini file which tweaks how triangulation is done:

[Mesh Export]
CentroidTriangulation=y

With the default of =y then it will try to produce a kind of radial triangulation connecting points on an n-gon outline to a centroid point if possible. With it set to =n then the triangulation will only be connecting points on the outer n-gon outline to one another without adding in a new center point.

If you have an example of an existing shape that is not getting triangulated how you would like, could you please post the .3dm file of it, and maybe show how you wish it was triangulated instead? That would help me to think about how to tune it up further.

One thing that I have thought about before is trying to carve up a larger outline into some sub chunks to try and do centroid style triangulation on some sub pieces of a single big outline.

By the way the meshing bug you reported a few days ago here:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=2323.1
should be fixed now with this new version, if you still have that original file around can you please verify that case is working now?

- Michael