Cplane problem/request

2270.10 In reply to 2270.9 
Hi Kevin - the tricky part is that you can't always draw on a single plane from every angled view.... Specifically if you've got a view that is looking exactly at the edge of a plane.

Here's an example to clarify:

In that example I've set up a plane which can be drawn on in the Top view, however if the Front and Right views used the grid in exactly the same 3D orientation as that plane, you can see that they are looking directly at the edge of it and cannot draw on it.

If I were to place the exact same cplane as the grid on every single view and not modify the view, it would end up with the grids on the Front and Right views all collapsed down to a line same as you see for this regular plane object....

That's kind of the situation that I'd like to avoid.

So I've got to try and figure out what should happen to the Front and Right views when this kind of mode is activated.

Are you saying that it doesn't bother you to have those other views become edge-on degenerate views when you would set this "don't change ortho views" type mode?

The part that works well right now is that not only do the views change to be relative, but also each ortho view gets a different oriented drawing plane so for example the Front view gets a grid that uses the X and Z axes of the primary construction plane, not the X and Y axes that the Top view uses. If there was no connection between the view orientations and the cplane as you want to have an option for, I'm not sure that doing that kind of axis flipping for each view's local grid would make sense to do...

- Michael
Attachments: