Request - A tube tool with on surface offset.

2187.25 In reply to 2187.23 
Hi PaQ, the best it looks like I can do for scripting with the current version is something that will set the distance constraint for you with a keypress, so that once you start dragging a construction line you can strike a key and have a distance applied to it, rather than needing to type in in over and over again.

This will do that:

script:var pp = moi.ui.getActivePointPicker(); if ( pp ) pp.setDistanceConstraint( 1.0 );

The way that works, is you start dragging a construction line and have it along the surface normal straight snap, while you still have the mouse button held down, strike that shortcut key to apply the distance constraint, and then release your mouse button to finish the construction line.

Then move your mouse to find the "end" snap on the construction line that will be 1 unit along it from the surface.

You can probably execute that sequence pretty quickly.

You'll probably accumulate a lot of construction lines on the screen with that method. You can also set up another key to erase all construction lines (without exiting your current draw command) by setting up this shortcut:

script:var gd = moi.geometryDatabase; gd.removeObjects( gd.getObjects().getConstructionLines() );

It should be possible for me to add some more things to be available for scripting for the next beta to actually position the offset point all in one shot with a keystroke I think, I will see about adding that stuff in but that won't help until the next beta.

- Michael