UI expansion?

2175.6 In reply to 2175.1 
Hi Rob - yeah the deal is that all the UI is actually defined by .htm files that are under the \ui subfolder underneath MoI's main program files folder.

It is possible to change the UI by changing those files, that's how those customized UIs work.

You're probably thinking more of a kind of "drag/drop" type mechanism for re-arranging things though? I don't have anything currently set up for that, and unfortunately it will take a fair amount of work to make a system for that.

Early on with MoI I kind of came to a point where I decided to focus my effort more on just the general "standard" UI design rather than on enabling stuff for dynamic re-arranging. Partly that was because of the sort of "unlimited" re-arrangement that is possible by editing the UI definition files directly...

Another thing is that in the future I expect to add additional panels, it helps a lot for future expandability to have things on different tabs like the current setup.

I do have a few ideas for some particular targeted things that may help sooner than a full UI drag/drop re-arrangement, like maybe being able to add buttons to the bottom toolbar so you could peel out some of your most frequently used things to the top level that way. Some more targeted re-arranging things like that are probably in the cards for a sooner timeframe than a full palette drag/drop but I'm still not really sure on a timeframe for that neither, currently a lot of other things like group management, object property editing, and history editing are a lot higher on the priority totem pole.

- Michael