MoIV2 Beta Nov-21-2008 Questions

2168.56 In reply to 2168.55 
Hi Tony -

> Not really the accurate way of driving the size I first
> thought it was. But, as you have said that's a whole
> different ball game and will have to come later.

Actually if I understand what you want correctly, you should be able to use this feature as it is currently set up for getting and editing the exact size that you want.

With angled objects, you will need to set your construction plane to that particular object's plane first though.

Once you have done that, the data that you see and edit there will be the sizes in that particular orientation - that should provide you with exactly the stuff that you were asking about.

Another way to do it is to select a linear edge instead of a whole object - when you select a linear edge the length of the edge will be shown and editable, and that is not dependent on orientation so you do not need to set the construction plane first even for angled objects if you use that method.

That's another way that the current system can be used to get the precise information that you are looking for.

So there are a couple of different ways that the current system can be used to do the job that you want, unless I have misunderstood what you are looking for?

I guess the thing to watch out for is if you rotate an object, the world bounding box of that object will be reported until you set your construction plane to the same orientation as the object.

The part that should get better in the future is with things like "instances", those will likely carry around their own axis information as part of the object itself, which will make it easier for those objects to report size in its own axis directions immediately without relying on the construction plane's axis directions.

- Michael