MoIV2 Beta Nov-21-2008 Questions

2168.50 In reply to 2168.46 
Hi Burr,

> I did the test with the cad and its as you set with moi!

Yeah, I figured it would be set up in the same way...

So you had originally asked about seeing the exact dimensions so you knew you had the right accuracy for your CAM work - the bounding box dimensions given by MoI currently are actually giving you the right information for that, correct?

If I had set it up to give the same answer between an "unrotated" and a "rotated" box, then that's when you would actually be seeing a different result in the reported bounds in MoI versus your CAM app, it seems like that would be worse off instead of better for "CAM accuracy" ?

> Where I would be coming from is more of a "scene Managment"
> type creation where my goal is building specific things at specific
> locations. It's a sub-d thing.

I think you've got the idea already, but the way that you can deal with this in MoI is to set your construction plane to that particular area where you want to do some specific located work.

That basically sets up the whole drawing environment for working in that particular local area.

It involves several things:

The grid moves to attach to be oriented and centered on the location that you pick

The Top/Front/Right views switch to become plan views of that particular location and orientation, like the Top view becomes a plan view looking down directly on that local area so you can draw some points in there with the mouse and they will be plotted on that local area.

Even typed in coordinates will be in that local frame of reference, like if you type "0" it will give the origin of that local frame of reference, and things like typing in 5,2 means 5,2 in that cplane not in the world coordinates.

Then on top of that, the bounding information that is shown in that properties area will be bounds relative to that orientation as well.

So there are a lot of things that happen when you apply a construction plane to make it possible to work very specifically in that particular local area.

I haven't really had a good chance to describe too many details about the cplanes yet - I had meant to do some more description when they first came out but haven't managed to do it yet.

> I can work as I like by remembering when I want to numerically
> resize, I work from the edge level, which reports the size I expect.

Yeah that should work well, when you select an edge that is a line it will report the length of that edge which is not dependent on any kind of orientation.

But I think overall your concern about the CAM accuracy is well covered by how things are currently set up...

- Michael