MoIV2 Beta Nov-21-2008 Questions

2168.37 In reply to 2168.35 
Hi Danny,

> but we have to remember that once that object has a
> Boolean function applied to it we can't resize that object
> alone the sizing in the new object properties panel will
> show the 'Booleaned' bodies as one solid.

I'm not completely sure if it covers what you are talking about here, but you are not limited to only seeing and editing the size of the full object - you can select sub-objects like an edge or a face to see their length or bounds, and actually edit those sizes, which will scale the whole object to make those sub-objects that size you specified.

> I think resizing objects after another operation will be a history
> enhancement for MoI in the future.

Yes - probably doing a kind of targeted "dimension edit" to adjust something that you drew would be properly done with a history type edit instead of this new object property size tool.

The whole other issue is that this can get moot fairly easily once you are dealing with something other than a rectangle or a box. Like for example what is your expected width and height of this object:

If I tried to track a separate plane for each object, it would be pretty easy for the bounding information to become hard to understand once the object deviated from a simple rectangle... With the current way I think it is actually easier to understand what the bounds mean for any particular shape, you don't have to try and imagine what is the frame of reference for a particular shape and take that into account to understand what the size means, it is always in the world or cplane frame...

I've been thinking about it back and forth a fair bit and I'm currently leaning towards the current way as actually being the least surprising overall, because it has a consistent behavior.

But I can also see that especially for planar curves it could be nice for the bounds to be tracked in that curve's plane...

But if you do want to get a kind of "absolute" value that is also possible currently by selecting a line since that gives you length information and not a bounding box.

- Michael
Attachments: