Scene managment....?...

2150.60 In reply to 2150.59 
Hi Danny, yes you can name an edge or a face sub-object... But mostly the idea behind the naming is to set up labels that will show up in the scene tree / scene browser thing.

Currently there is no restriction that the names have to be unique - you can have objects that have the same name and it is actually hard to avoid this since it is otherwise hard to figure out what to do when you split an object into multiple pieces.

It is an interesting idea to be able to use the names in expressions, but one problem right off the bat is I don't know what to do when there are multiple instances of the same name...

> e.g. 'wall/2', 'wall' being the name I gave to an edge, to get a
> door half the height of that wall.

It is possible to use construction lines now to get that kind of measurement... But I can see that if you are going to be using the same value many times it is better to be able to refer to it with a simple tag or name.

I'm not really sure that using object names would be sort of the best fit for that though, it seems like a kind of "variable manager" type UI would be the thing - like you would go somewhere and push a button for "define variable", and you could pick from different functions like get the distance between 2 picked points, take the length of a selected edge, radius value, etc... and then you enter a name and then that variable would be defined for use in expressions.

That could definitely be useful, but it is kind of going down a fairly specialized and "advanced use" type road, it will probably be a bit difficult for me to raise it in priority very soon.

> BTW persistent expressions would be nice, but I guess you would have
> to store a lot of info with the file.

It's not so much the storage - the main problem is I just don't have a constraint-based solver mechanism that has all the stuff worked out for how to alter interior regions of a shape (like by extensions etc...) separate from the whole shape.

- Michael