Scene managment....?...

2150.50 In reply to 2150.49 
Hi Pilou,

> And this feature ? (just new in the 7.0 G Sketchup)

That is also something else entirely.... Certainly useful in the right situations, but in a very different category of work than what I am doing right now.

That would be like making a special "stairs" command in MoI that knew how to take various parameters and make a staircase automatically. That's possible in the future at some point but currently things in MoI are more focused on general purpose geometry building and not so much on making specialized commands that are for just one very specific kind of resulting model.

Basically it takes some specialized code behind such objects to take those parameters in (and alterations to placement and scale, etc...) and generate a structured specific shape output.

The problem with such things is that you are often stuck with a kind of fixed output in several ways, like for example what if you want stairs that have a rounded end, or have a groove cut down the middle, etc.... ?

With a special "stairs" command it makes it really easy to make a certain kind of stairs that the command was set up to produce, but that does not help you if you want something different than that. But it is helpful for things that use a common set of structures.

This can get added to MoI eventually, but currently the focus in MoI is sort of on a more creative drawing type process and not so much on assembling a set of "standard auto generated components" together.

I mean don't get me wrong, it is useful in many ways to be able to easily assemble many standard things together and I would like to make that easier in MoI in the future. It's just more the concept and energy behind MoI is more in the area of doing creative dynamic stuff more than that currently.

If your model is more of an assembly of totally standardized shapes, then probably MoI is not really the best tool for that, a different program that has put more emphasis on templating and instancing, etc... (like the kind of stuff shown in that video) would be a better fit for efficiency.

- Michael