Meaningful Shortcut Keys Listing.

2134.6 In reply to 2134.5 
Hi Brian, I think I sort of understand what you mean but there are an infinite variety of possible custom scripts that can be created...

I'm frequently creating new ones to help someone with some particular task.

So it isn't really particularly possible for me to have a predefined list of every single possible script that could be used and have a "friendly name" assigned to it already.

I guess it would be possible to have a friendly name if there was a separate "script editor" type list where you could enter in scripts and assign a "friendly name" or label to them, then you could reference that "friendly name" inside of the shortcut list.

But that adds some complexity - now there would be 2 editors that you would have to work with when you wanted to add in a new script, instead of being able to do it all in one place like you currently can in the shortcut key editor.

There are actually already a set of friendly names available for a certain number of scripts - these are what are referred to in MoI as a "command".

For example look at this part of your screenshot:

Notice how those do not have any kind of script code showing, it just says: "New", or "Copy", "Save", ...

I guess that is the kind of simple setup that you want? You already have it for those entries, right?

If you'd like to have only names like that you can do that if you only set up shortcuts that use the predefined commands in them instead of custom scripts.

Of course there is a lot of flexibility and new things that come as custom scripts - that is part of the nature of being able to create new things and not only relying exclusively on predefined commands...

Part of the price that is paid for that power and flexibility is having some code show up in that shortcut key editor.

There is another possibility as well - you could also copy each of those scripts to a .js file in a \scripts subfolder underneath MoI's main installation folder. Then instead of the actual script code in the shortcut key editor, you can put the .js filename in there instead. Now you have an additional file that you have to move in between installations but you would get to have a shorter name in that shortcut key dialog if having short names in there is your primary focus.

Maybe in the future I can come up with an alternate way to install a script, like drag/drop the .js file onto the MoI window to add it, and pop up a prompt to let you enter a shortcut key right then instead of going to the shortcut key editor. I think that would probably be a lot more aligned with what you want, but it will probably be a while before I will get a chance to set that up.

- Michael
Attachments: