Object properties progress

2127.8 In reply to 2127.2 
Hi JTB, thanks for the feedback!

> It looks great, I am happy not to read the word "layer"!

Yeah, I don't really want to have a "layer" to be set as a property of an object, because that causes a pretty major restriction of only having an object belong to one layer. That doesn't allow for very flexible grouping or organizing.

I should mention though that this stuff for object properties is one piece - in addition to this I want to have a kind of "scene browser" panel that will provide some stuff for grouping and more "layer-ish" type stuff, this was discussed last month here:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=1944.1

> Maybe yes, I will have to see this working to fully understand if
> it is better this way.... Generally it is a very nice idea.
> Style is mostly grouping by appearance (for example color,
> linetype etc) so maybe you're right.

We'll see pretty soon! :)

One thing that is nice about focusing on setting a "style" that is a group of properties is that the top level interface there can stay nice and streamlined no matter how many individual properties are added later on. If I tried to provide controls for each individual property in that one spot, it is going to get complicated pretty fast when more are added. I was struggling with this part for quite a while.

I don't mind if there is complexity included in some kind of optional thing (like adding a new style for instance), I just don't want it to kind of bubble up and take over the main UI.

I think there will still be a way to edit individual properties as well, the idea for this is that there will be one style in the drop-down that says "custom", if you choose that you will get a dialog that will allow you to edit individual properties to be applied to just one object. So individual property setting may not need to be totally absent.

But by mainly focusing the primary UI on picking a style, I think it should help to keep the top level more simple over time.

Re: changing the radius of a circle - the plan is for this to work the same way with history as a transform would. If there are objects that have history connecting them to that circle they will update when the circle radius is changed. But there is still work to be done to improve the history mechanism so that the history chain does not get broken so easily, that will be a kind of separate chunk of work from this though.

Thanks!

- Michael