Object properties progress

2127.45 In reply to 2127.44 
Hi Tony,

> Sounds good Michael, any extra info on size and/or position is useful.

One thing that I don't quite follow is the position part.

A general object doesn't particularly have a single special "position" point on it... Like for example what would you say is the position of this object:

Is it the center point of the curve's bounding box? I don't quite understand why you would want to know what that point is at the top level of the UI all the time (as opposed to on a secondary dialog), I mean it is not on any part of the definition of the curve...

> I understand that a movable UI is a lot of work for
> one man - even you ;-)

:) Yup, a lot of work is a lot of work for anyone!

One thing that tends to help keep me reasonably efficient is to kind of pick my battles a bit carefully and try to stay away from areas that would require quite a lot of sustained work.

One area that is particularly difficult with movable UI is to try and handle docking of different sized panels or toolbars adjacent to one another.

It may be possible in the future for me to focus on something more limited than that, like only being able to tear off large panels that take up a whole edge of something rather than trying to stack small pieces together. But even that will probably be a ways out.

> A question just occured to me. Will all this new stuff be as
> configurable as V1 was?

My current version is not too flexible, it depends on specific elements being present in the UI and those controls being updated more directly from the back-end code.

But I should be able to revamp this pretty easily to be much more flexible, so that some script code in the UI will get a notification to update and that script code can be more responsible for dealing directly with the UI controls.

That should help with customization a lot, but it still requires some cooperation from the back-end as far as what properties and values are available to be accessed by the script code.

It would make it pretty easy to add something like a bounding box center point at the top level if you want though.

- Michael
Attachments: