MoI Exercise #5 Character Modeling --> Duck Mouth

2125.3 In reply to 2125.2 
Hi Anis - that's pretty well getting into the area of character modeling that tends to be easier to do in a sub-d polygon modeler instead of MoI.

Notice how the shape there is not very well defined by just a simple cross-section or profile? That can tend to be an indicator that using a sub-d modeler and making it out of a mesh cage is a better approach.

To do it in NURBS you could try using an older style approach from when NURBS was used for character modeling, which is to set up a kind of radial arrangement of curves which you can then Loft.

Model is attached as DuckBill.3dm .

I also used the "Loft Style: Loose" and "closed" options for doing the Loft, and the automatic sorting will not work with this kind of arrangement so you need to be careful to pick the curves in the proper sequence and also near the same end to make them set in the Loft properly.

I started with just the top profile and did a circular array to make some more sections, then actually delete half and do a mirror, and then I did a lot of control point manipulation of half those sections to adjust the shape.

- Michael