USB version?

212.2 In reply to 212.1 
Hi Edwin,

> Hi there, let me skip the standard "MOI rocks, it's a great tool, yadayadayada :-)" We all know that.

Hey, I'm still not tired of hearing that yet! ;)

> Is it possible to run MOI from a USB stick? I would like to show it to
> more people and i'm not always able to install it (rights problem on
> a network).

Yes, this will work. MoI is designed to be self-contained, it doesn't rely on stuff in the registry, etc...

After you do an install, just take all the files and subdirectories in the MoI directory in \Program Files, and copy them to your USB stick. Take your USB stick to a different computer, and then you should be able to run moi.exe directly from the USB stick on the other computer.

The only thing that won't come over this way is any options that you may have set (colors, etc..). These are stored in the moi.ini file, which is located in c:\Documents and Settings\[your login name]\Application Data\Moi\moi.ini . It's stored over there by default because users with limited rights can't write to files in the \Program files folder. However, if you move the moi.ini file to be in the same directory as moi.exe, it will look for it there and use that one if it is present. So just copy this moi.ini file over to the USB stick and then your settings will come along with you as well.

It's cool that Modo does this as well. I'm afraid it has become rather rare nowadays.

Please let me know if you run into any problems running MoI off the stick.

> Not specifically looking for U3 support or anything..

That's good, because I don't know what that is.

> Also, MOI rocks, it's really a great tool (already)....sigh, couldn't resist.

Ah, there we go... Thanks! ;) ;)

- Michael