Initial stages of product? I like it. Version 9? I will hate it.

211.2 In reply to 211.1 
Hi Petr, I'm glad that you've been trying MoI!

I'm certainly hoping that Version 9 won't be ruined compared to Version 1, that's something that I am going to be keeping a close eye on, and I have planned the UI for expansion in advance which should help quite a lot as well. By this I mean that I can add major new feature areas by adding new tabbed palettes on the side pane, and their complexity impact on basic use is quite small if they start out collapsed. This is a pretty key thing, but we'll see how it works by version 9, hopefully it will still have a similar feel by then!

> From this point of view I think that the non-tablet users would not be ignore completely.

Yes, in fact I expect to have quite a lot of non-tablet users, probably more than tablet users actually. This started to become more apparant to me after talking to a bunch of people at SIGGRAPH.

The nice thing about focusing on working with the tablet (other than it being a niche that no other CAD program is currently filling, which was the initial reasoning), is that it forced me to work with a pretty small set of UI actions, just simple left-clicks and drags. Having this constraint really forced me to simplify stuff which then has had a good effect for non-tablet users as well.

> So it would be nice if you could add a possibility to define not only such
> one-letter shortcut as "r=Rotate", but full aliases like "er=Rotate"

This would certainly be possible to add at some point, but it's kind of outside the scope of what V1 is focused on.

> P.S. I tried copy T-Splines object through the clipboard from RhinoV4 to
> MoI today and I was surprised that I was able to show and manipulate a
> control points although it was still a solid (closed polysurface), really.

This is because MoI supports a feature where you can turn on and edit the control points for a polysurface, if all the individual surfaces of it share the same points along common edges. So for example the result of a loft is still editable even if there were creases in it which caused it to be split into multiple surfaces, and a simple box is point editable as well. This is different compared to Rhino, since as you are aware in Rhino you can't turn on the points for any polysurface at all.

But if you have a polysurface that has trimmed-back edges instead of natural surface edges, or the control point structure is different along the shared edges, then you won't be able to turn on points for those types of polysurfaces in MoI.

- Michael