Batch file conversion

2100.42 In reply to 2100.41 
Hi Micha, re: "Advanced options editor" - yes Firefox has a kind of similar thing, if you type in about:config in the address bar.

It would certainly be useful!

The main problem would be that I would need to divert time to work on it and I would need to cancel other features in order to make that one.

> The UI wouldn't be complicated, only a little button needs be added.

Yeah adding the little button itself would be easy.

Unfortunately making the whole table part which actually would function dynamically is a lot more work than that.

Beyond just making the table UI itself, it would also require an integration layer to make the table hooked up to each of those settings in the actual MoI code.

It's easy in the sense that it is not "rocket science", but it is not unusual for things that are not necessarily difficult to still take a lot of time to implement.

I can understand from your perspective it seems very simple, "Just add a button and a table, how long could that take?" .... If only things really worked that way I would be happy!

It's unfortunately pretty common for many kinds of things to take a lot more development time than you might initially imagine.

This would just be too time consuming of a thing to develop right now.

> At the general options you could add a line "MoI ini file"
> with an "Edit" button. An advantage would be, that if the user
> has more than one ini file at his system (by an user fault), that
> the UI would only open the ini file that is known and used by MoI.

Yes, this one is a lot more feasible, and I've thought about having a button to launch the current moi.ini file in a text editor.

There is a complication with this too though, because MoI writes settings to the moi.ini file when it shuts down. So it is not so good to have the moi.ini file opened in a text editor while MoI is still actively running since if you edit the text and then save it while MoI is still running, your changes will then get overwritten when MoI shuts down and also writes to the file.

So such an "edit moi.ini button" would need to shut down MoI and wait until all settings have been written and only launch moi.ini in the text editor after that.

That's slightly unusual to have a button in options which will shut down the program like that, which is why I haven't done it yet. I guess I could put up a warning dialog first like "To edit moi.ini, MoI will now shut down. Do you want to proceed?" or something like that, that may work.

EDIT: I think I misunderstood your last part here - you were talking about using that button to show that special "Table UI". The thing I'm talking about here would be to have a button that would launch moi.ini in a text editor like notepad.

- Michael