Batch file conversion

2100.39 In reply to 2100.38 
Hi Micha - often times if an option is pretty specialized and has only been requested by a single person, I'll only add that in to the moi.ini file and not put it in the main UI, at least initially. As time goes on and if more people ask about it, then I'll generally move it into the main options UI at that point.

That's so that the main options UI does not become extremely complicated with such a large amount of things in it, especially with many of them that are only of interest to just one person or a very small focused group.

Otherwise, if I did make a policy like you are asking, to have every setting available in the main UI, that would then mean that I would just not have many options available like this at all, in order to keep the main UI simplified for more typical use.

So that's why I would not make such a policy - it is actually not having such a policy that makes it possible for me to make special settings like this at all. Otherwise, I would remove many of these options and that is probably not what you want, right?

It's probably best to install the new beta into its own folder like it defaults to, rather than in the same folder as an existing previous beta. I don't test that kind of "doubled up" install, and it could possibly cause difficulties with things such as uninstall later on.

Also it is a good idea to install them side by side so that you have the old version still available if there is some kind of bad bug in the brand new one.

After you install the new one, if you want to have the moi.ini in the same spot as moi.exe then just copy it over to your new installation.

Then the way that new settings work is that they will typically get added to the moi.ini file the first time that you run MoI and shut it down, although possibly some areas may not get added until the first time that you use that particular area, that's probably what happened here, those particular settings will only get touched if you actually generate a mesh during a session and then exit. If you don't generate a mesh then the mesh settings code does not get run and does not generate the new entries in moi.ini .

> It seems to be that a new ini file is writen somewhere at
> the ..documents..\.. dir - I can't find it.

If it does not find an existing one in the application folder, it will create a new .ini file with default settings, located in:
C:\Documents and Settings\ [your login name] \Application Data\Moi\moi.ini .

That's on Windows XP, on Windows Vista it will be in:
C:\Users\[your login name]\AppData\Roaming\Moi\moi.ini

> If I want to keep my old settings, than I must manual merge both?

No, just copy your old moi.ini to the new application folder and then you'll have all your old settings copied as well.

Any new entries will get automatically added to it after their feature areas are used the first time. But you can also add them in manually as well.

> I manualy added the option Persist..., but it dosn't work.

The persist option should look like this to enable it:
[Mesh Export]
PersistSettingsBetweenSessions=y

Can you please check to make sure you have correct spelling and that it is in the right [Mesh Export] section? I just gave it a try and it seems to be working over here...

Please let me know if you still can't get it to work.

- Michael