Requests &...from Pilou:)

207.29 In reply to 207.27 
Hi,

>>This particular thing tends to be an area of confusion in Rhino, that typing 5,5 produces a different 3D point location depending on what viewport is active.

...not to be confusing for me. When I work in 2D view I am just drawing and don't care about 3D.

>>It is particularly bad in the split view where it is so easy to accidentally change the active viewport just by moving your mouse around without even clicking somewhere

yes, I must agree with you in that, it sometimes happens to me, haha...

>> ...simple coordinate input with no decorations (like 5,5) will always use world coordinates. I think this is really what most people would expect...

It is hard not only for me to place a points in 3D space while looking at "non-corresponding" 2D view, so I might value something like "c5,5" or it seems to be better idea to add world axis icon to non-3D viewport, so I wouldn't be confused enough. On the other hand, MoI's construction lines is so powerful (it just groups Rhino's ortho mode, elevator mode, planar mode, tab constraint and AshlarVellum's DraftAssistant together) that users are encouraged to work more in the 3D view where "w5,5" or "5,5" is the same. Besides, it can always be done with drawing in Top viewport and then rotating the drawing.

>>There is currently no way to type in construction-plane relative coordinates. I suppose I could add this in using a new "c" syntax, like "c5,5". What do you think about that?

I think that the rhino's concept world coordinate system 'wx,y,z' versus local one is essential because there is a way how to change the direction and origin of the construction plane. For instance, if I change the origin in Rhino's Perspective view and type "5,5,5" vs. "w5,5,5" there will be absolutely different location of the points. Thus, if you decided not to add the command handling a construction plane, you could give up new 'c' idea perhaps

By the way, it makes no sense to initiate an input field after typing "w" or "r" without running command, so this is a misfeature I guess

Petr