xyz coords

2064.27 In reply to 2064.25 
Hi Steve, yeah I see where you're coming from.

But many other people tend to expect to have labeled views such as "Top" look the same with their same model data in different applications, regardless if that has different axis directions.

3DM files are definitely oriented towards having the "Top" be a view of the x/y axes, there is even a viewport labeled "Top" stored in the file itself which has that view direction defined. I think it would definitely make sense for them to provide an option for reading 3DM files that would maintain those labeled views instead of maintaining strictly the coordinate values. I'm surprised that it never came up when they developed it, since all 3DM files from Rhino will behave in the same way.

I've also added an option for the next v2 beta that will make MoI automatically rotate models read in through IGES, STEP, or SAT formats:
[NURBS Import]
RotateYUpToZUp=n

If you set that to =y in the next beta, then that IGES cone from SW will get rotated so that it looks the same in the Top and Front views in MoI as it did in the Top and Front views in SW.

> That was really why I posted (some time ago now) about the
> colors of the main axis in the views of MoI not being correct, so
> now work just from the axis icons (which I can now increase in
> size, thank you).

You're welcome. It's also been on my todo list to change the way the axis colors of the grid works, to the way that you had been originally expecting.

The current system for that is based on a kind of older concept of each grid having its own coordinate system cplane. I wasn't quite sure how the CPlanes were going to work out for MoI, but now that I've got it worked out that there is more of one global cplane instead of a completely custom one per individual viewport, it should be easier to draw those axes with the colors you were expecting.

- Michael