Modelling a Aircraft - F9F-5

2036.64 In reply to 2036.63 
Thanks Michael, some more great tips and ideas posted there.

With the canopy surface you've generated I could not cut the windshield to the right shape. I think you solution in the canopy thread was a far better although that is a trial and error exercise with the windshield side profile. However I do understand the principle your getting at and I think you've come to realise how difficult some of the shapes that make up a aircraft are. Same goes for cars.

I actually built the fuselage of my model as a revolve as that was the simplest and most accurate way to do it. It also highlights the errors in the blueprints used as the side profile when revolved did not match the top and bottom profile of the aircraft but from the front view it shows the aircraft as a perfect circle.

I like the point pulling idea to give me a leg up in the tail area and reduce the seams in the model. The only problem is that a user can't point pull after a surface is trimmed so he can't tweak the shape till it looks right compared to photo reference. Nor can the user define how many points should be put on the surface to aid them in the point pulling exercise. As we have discussed point pulling is probably best handled with a subd poly modeller which is designed for that purpose.

I don't want to build the model panel by panel (even if a could) as it would take to long and would be difficult to keep it all straight and aligned. I'm interested in reducing my time to create each model and creating a nice smooth mesh that renders perfectly from all angles. That is my one and only goal when it comes to a project like this.
~Kevin~