Modelling a Aircraft - F9F-5

2036.39 In reply to 2036.31 
Hi Kevin,

> Even after breaking my model down into sub components
> I'm still getting warping, twisting and deformation of my
> surfaces.

Just another note looking more closely at your image there - I don't think this will really change any of the key points, but that is not really still the correct "componentization" strategy for what would be required to do this well in NURBS.

You've still got a very polygon-oriented mindset there where you want each component to end up having an "edge to edge" match with an existing piece.

That's not how you want to approach the components with NURBS, instead each component is going to be more of an extended piece that punches through the others, then you trim and fillet or blend them together to make your final connections.

So you've got this where you have stuff laid out constructed edge-to-edge:

NURBS componentization would instead be more like this (just very quick rough sketches for the pieces here):

Fuselage piece:

Canopy piece:

Tail fin piece:

All components:

Notice how each component is a fully independent individual extended piece and is not hanging directly off the edges of another piece.

Then those get booleaned or trimmed, which then creates a sharp edge curve between the components, and then you use either fillet to smooth the sharp edge, or you trim back a bit of a gap and use Blend.

That's more of the kind of componentization that I was trying to get at, sorry I did not make it clearer. Notice how the pieces are constructed separately and there is not a huge effort spent on building them to the exact same final edge - instead those edges are created when you intersect the pieces.

You seem to be avoiding intersection in your approach - the big difference with NURBS is that you want to use intersections into the approach.

Anyway, just some more information... But you seem to really want to control the edges directly - to build the surface directly by controlling all "skin" more directly instead of using intersections, that is certainly more suited to subd instead.

- Michael