Impressions, Requests, Info Seeking

2031.5 In reply to 2031.3 
Hi jclark, thanks for all the feedback! I'll try to give you some replies in a few different pieces here.

> Another feature request for importing/exporting is a progress
> bar. Currently for some heavy imports there is no way to know
> MOI is working without opening task manager.

Yeah I definitely intend to improve this area, I know that is rather clumsy. For now you just have to wait for it to finish crunching away.

> Note the memory usage difference between Pro/E (xtop.exe) and MOI.

MoI is set by default to use a rather dense display mesh which makes for a nice smooth and high quality surface display throughout the entire model (including small features of the model) but that tends to chew up quite a bit of memory.

You can reduce the memory load considerably by turning down the display density to be coarser. To do this, go to Options / View / Meshing parameters, and set Mesh angle to 20, and uncheck "Add detail to inflections".

Those settings will cause fewer polygons to be used and will result in a kind of rougher look to the display however the memory use will go way down.

I do want to adjust this in the future so that small details like the fasteners will automatically get kind of "throttled down" to use less density, but for now you have to set the density manually to be coarser (higher angle value = coarser) if you have something with a lot of small details in it.

Can you give that a try and see what the impact is on memory use?

If you are able to send the model to me (moi@moi3d.com), that could be helpful for me to test with when I get a chance to work on the automatic density throttling.

- Michael