Impressions, Requests, Info Seeking

2031.32 In reply to 2031.29 
Hi Kevin,

> This was the other issue I was talking about with nurbs where
> tensions get created in the nurbs surfaces warping it from the
> shape you want.

Yeah this kind of thing will tend to happen if you try to build a single surface that goes through significant changes.

One thing that could help in this situation is to separate this out into smaller pieces - one piece for the main fuselage that goes more evenly towards the back and then have the tail fin as a totally separate part that then gets booleaned or trimmed to mate with the main fuselage and then a fillet or blend put in between them to make a smooth juncture.

Trying to make a large protrusion as a single surface construction will be much harder to control than building in smaller pieces.

The kind of tensions that you are showing here are basically the result of one profile transforming into another one, probably you don't like the default mapping or connections that are being used between each profile. You can get some more control over how the profiles connect to one another by using Network and putting in some more section curves, that can let you kind of control the connections some more.

But really I would think building in more simple pieces, one for the main body and the tail fin as a separate piece would be more of how I would go.

> Having the ability to tweak points would allow the user to fix this.

The ability is actually there - you can select the surface in your example there and use Edit/Show pts to turn on control points. Then you can select a point and move it around to deform the surface. But in MoI this does not tend to be a very big focus of the toolset. If you want to model by tweaking the surface mesh points more directly probably you should be using a subd modeling tool instead.

- Michael