MoIinWood

Michael:
Cabling is now becoming a major issue as the 4th axis is introducing another cable. It's as simple as an investment into those cool cable carrier systems. $500 and it looks like a million bucks. The next and final stage is the 5th axis. That will allow full access for the cutting tool to the material in any angle. Dust collection is working perfectly. I just finished 17 Stair treads which had a very complex nose and back. I made the profile with MOI and used Rhino to create the tool path. Projecting the curves and creating the surfaces somehow was easier with MoI then with Rhino. I use MoI as my Swiss Army Knife and then Rhino for the confabulated and strange modeling tasks which justify the time spend with the slightly awkward Rhino Interface. Awkward because it's stuffed with goodies and thus a tick overwhelming. I use multiple programs and all the power programs like ZBrush or Rhino which have great 'depth' in regards to functionality are not necessarily my friends as it takes a lot of exercise to stay current with their work flow. MoI and Cinema 4D are great examples of complex applications which present the functions in a rather intuitive and easily accessible way.

Pilou: That will be possible with the last of my enhancements which is the 5th axis. That will turn the cutting spindle itself and thus allow the perpendicular orientation of the cutting tool to the material surface in any orientation. The 4th axis as it is allows more freedom already but still has minor limitations. Right now I can create a sphere, but projecting an engraving path on it is limited to an orthographic 2.5d method. If I keep the engraving flat, I can create pretty cool results on a sphere as long as I stay away form the poles. I have the plans ready for the 5th axis and the software as well. Only the money is missing... The 4th axis has to earn the money for the 5th. As did the three axis earn the money for the 4th. Unlike the US financial system, this machine has to earn it's keep.

I'll keep you updated. I plan to cut some real exciting stuff on the weekend.
Rainer

PS: Any chance for a cool surface following wrap tool Michael? ;}