Begining First Car

2005.18 In reply to 2005.15 
Hi Mike, it's a great looking result!

> Moi3d Really slowed down once I added the tire treads.
> even after I turned off inflection and hidden lines....
> anythoughts, or is it just what happens with all the little tread details?

If those are all a bunch of little teeny fillets, you've also got to adjust the "Mesh angle" parameter as well as the inflection setting.

Try setting Options / View / Meshing parameters / Mesh angle to 25 instead of the default 10, in addition to unchecking "Add detail to inflections".

Does that seem to help any?

Currently those little tiny fillets get meshed with an equal density as the larger surface, it just cranks out too huge of an amount of polygons.

It is definitely an area that I'm going to be working on improving.

Once you switch back to a more regular density model without a ton of little fillets, you will probably want to revert those settings back to the defaults so that you get a nice smoother display on regular density stuff.

Also just generally a ton of tiny fillets will drive up your file size and just general model weight quite considerably.

If you can use a render trick instead, that can help or you may actually want to try using a chamfer in small numerous spots like that instead of an actual rounded fillet, that will put a kind of bevel there but with a tiny flat piece which is not as heavy and if you are not zooming in real close to those spots it will probably look pretty equivalent, especially after you put textures and whatnot on the render.

- Michael