V2 beta Sep-21-2008 available now

1991.20 In reply to 1991.19 
Hi Eric - it is definitely a big goal for MoI's exporters to try and eliminate the amount of tweaking and cleaning that has to be done.

It just saves a huge amount of time if the export is all clean right from the beginning instead of needing further work.

Of course with the very first release of a brand new exporter there may be a few issues to discover and tune up. It certainly helps a lot when I have an example to work with, thanks for posting it!

I've looked into that example and the problem is actually what I had guessed earlier - SketchUp does not like it when points of a polygon are too close together, it looks like when points of a polygon are closer than 0.001 units together it will cause SketchUp to flag the face as badly formed. That happens to be the case in some of those polygons along the top because the UV grid of the fillet is just a little bit different than the UV grid of that top flat piece. So when these 2 UV grids get combined to have a "watertight" outline for the polygon it has some points in it pretty close together.

For the next beta I will be able to solve this problem by merging points like that together.

> I think this may be a SketchUp issue rather than a Moi issue.

I guess so, actually I'm kind of surprised that it is sensitive to this amount of closeness, I would have thought it would have had to be a smaller distance for it to be a problem.

But anyway I'll be able to solve it in MoI's SKP exporter to not create this situation that SketchUp does not happen to like.

- Michael