V2 beta Sep-21-2008 available now

1991.17 In reply to 1991.8 
Hi Danny, thanks for the feedback!

> The Free Rotation option with a spaceball is like,
> getting rid of my crutches and I'm finally walking
> normal again, thanks for that Doc :)

I thought that would be more comfortable for you! :)

> CPlane IMHO is one of the major updates in modelling
> tools added, it will make modelling life so much easier
> again, I thought MoI couldn't get any easier and the
> placement intelligence behind it makes it so quick.

Great, I'm glad that the placement mechanism is working well for you.

Yeah when you place its origin point it will try to automatically align itself to the object you snapped on to. Hopefully for most situations that will be the orientation you were looking for already and you can be done right there.

But after the initial placement you can also click and drag on the axis lines to get a kind of "align to 3 points manually" type of style as well. After you have placed one axis, it will behave a bit differently for the 2nd axis drag - the first axis that you dragged will stay locked in place and the next pick will rotate about that first locked axis. This can be a bit strange if you are just trying to play around with dragging axes around because every other drag behaves a bit differently, but it should make sense I think if you are focused on placing them by 2 picks after placing the origin.

Then the idea is that this same placement mechanism will also be used for a Transform/Orient tool for aligning objects to one another - that one will use 2 of those tripod pickers, one for a base orientation on the object and then one for the target orientation.

> One thing with CPlane Michael, is that when using
> construction line/helpers to set the new plane the helper
> lines tend to hang around for a while, then they disappear
> after a few more commands, was this intended ?

Oops, that's a bug, thanks for reporting it. Should be easy to fix.

It's kind of a side effect of CPlane not really being a regular "Command" - one reason why it is not a regular command is so that you can actually use it while you are running inside of a command already.

- Michael