Pipe as a first class 3D object in MOI?...

1968.4 In reply to 1968.3 
Hi Will,

> Wouldn't some of the code from the Offset and rail sweep
> commands be usable in something like this?

Not really, because those commands do not have a very similar UI to what you are talking about... Most of the effort in something like a pipe drawing tool would be in UI related stuff.

There are quite an awful lot of parameters on that Pipe dialog in LWCad that you are referring to - I mean I count 19 different buttons or parameters to adjust there on the dialog that is shown.

That kind of hugely complex single command just does not fit in well with MoI's overall goal of making things simple to use.

Like for example it looks like they have an option for controlling the fillet radius for the bends between lines. In MoI you would do that instead by drawing a polyline curve and then using the Fillet command to create the radius on the corners, then use that curve as input to the sweep command, etc...

It helps a lot to keep things more simple and easy to use by having tools kind of broken apart into elements like this rather than glomping things together into commands that have huge sets of parameters to them.

I guess I'm just not sure what the end payoff is... You can create the same thing in MoI by using a couple of different tools, what would you really gain by having a single glomped together command for "drawing" the pipe directly instead of drawing and processing a curve first?

- Michael