maybe for realtime shading in moi

1963.13 In reply to 1963.12 
Hi Iwan, I guess I'm confused about what you're mentioning... Do you have an example of the kind of sloppy result that you are referring to?

But actually what I mentioned above about adding in communication features is about stuff that I want to focus on at a future time, not stuff that is already finished up and currently in MoI. Sorry if that was not clear there.

> I know directX can do much better.

Actually, nope that is not true... After objects have been meshed in MoI the mesh data is sent over to the card for rendering without much anything else getting in the way.

The only thing that would be faster is if the data was already resident on the card, however that is only possible to do with a much newer generation card and it has been a big goal to make MoI work on much less powerful cards - that's why MoI is able to run well on things like a low powered TabletPC system with 32Mb of Vram, which is basically impossible to do with a regular CAD program these days.

MoI's uncommonly low system requirements have definitely been a big boost and help to many people, so that has turned out to be a really great decision to not rely on having a very advanced video card just to make MoI function.

Now that the basic functions are well covered for MoI, I would like to add in some stuff in the future to optionally take advantage of more powerful cards as well. But it will be great to have that an optional thing rather than a required thing just to run the program.

By default MoI is set up to create a pretty dense mesh so that you get a nice quality smooth display.

The mesh that is generated tends to be very much more dense than a typical DirectX app, that may be why you have some confusion about the comparison there...

If you would like to speed up the display you can reduce the mesh density by going to Options / View / Meshing parameters and set up "Mesh angle" to a higher angle like 20 degrees, and uncheck "Add detail to inflections". Also another thing that can speed up the display is to uncheck Options / View / Display hidden lines, as the hidden line display pass will add additional rendering complexity.

With those settings adjusted to a more coarse level as is more typical, then you should see more of the kind of thing that you seemed to be expecting.

But by default it is nice to have a smoother display so that when you are working on some surfaces you see more of the quality of the true surface definition...

I would like to tune this up in the future to sort of more automatically throttle the mesh density down when you have a larger scene, instead of needing to manually adjust the setting to be coarser, I think that will help out quite a bit.

- Michael

EDITED: 24 Sep 2008 by MICHAEL GIBSON