Can this be modelled in Moi?

1952.46 In reply to 1952.45 
Hi gizmo,

Unfortunately Nurbs modelling does have to be precise but I've noticed more so in Moi, I had no problem filleting your model in another 3d app but the cost difference is about 50 times.

Where there are seams involved, I've noticed in Moi if they are not lined up exactly it has a hard time solving fillets, so as you can see if you zoom up to the area I've circled the seam of the swept piece is out a bee's prick to the main body seam, so the way you correct that is to line up the 2 points from the top view because they weren't exactly aligned and then the fillet will work up to 6 units.

You get used to the accuracy required once you've understood nurbs modelling, at work we model to an accuracy of 0.005mm which I think is too fine but I have to follow protocol.

I've attached your model corrected for reference.

Oh yeah, you can fillet the right side of the model you supplied because the seams are aligned but not the left side because of the misalignment as explained.

Michael, any comment on why we have to be so accurate in Moi and how other 3d solids/nurb apps are more forgiving or stronger in solving such issues, is the Solids++ kernel still in it's infancy, will it get better as time goes on ?

~Danny~

EDITED: 26 Jan 2010 by DANTAS