Blender Importer

1943.7 In reply to 1943.5 
Hi Brian,

> Is that Blender script option outdated by the current saving capability in MoI?

I don't think so - that script is to help Blender read the data in more easily, including the shading data.

MoI's OBJ exporter also writes that shading data as well, but I guess the OBJ importer on the Blender side was not very good about reading that shading data in, I think that's why Anthony wrote that importer to get a better import into Blender.

It is possible that Blender's OBJ importer has been updated since then to work better, I don't really know about that specifically though.

None of this part has much to do with MoI's saving capability - it is about Blender's importing capability. After all, it takes 2 pieces of code to make a successful data transfer, first the code for the export from MoI and then second the code for the import into the other application. It doesn't really matter if MoI's export is perfect if the second step (the importer in the other application) does not support certain things...

- Michael

P.S. - when using this Blender import script, make sure to uncheck the "Weld vertices along edges" option in the Meshing options (click the little arrow in the lower-left corner to expand the dialog), the script needs unwelded points to be able to get the good shading data.