To many controlpoints

1844.14 In reply to 1844.13 
> Well, it is an extreme case. I was talking
> about something like 1/4000.

I think that should be pretty well covered by this mechanism... The only other case is if you make your object actually smaller than 1 unit in size, that will instead try to shrink the tolerance down to 1/100 of the size (but not more than 0.001).

> Except, how can MoI know what is the acceptable error (only
> designers know what is the aim - model for visualization,
> machining or cmm inspection).

Yeah, that is kind of a general problem...

I've kind of tried to slant somewhat towards the "more accuracy" side by default a bit, you may remember that earlier in the v1 betas it was set at 0.01 and then knocked down to 0.001 ...

But too much accuracy causes problems as mentioned in the original message of this thread, so it needs to get relaxed somewhat for larger sized models.

It would seem at first that giving you a setting for the tolerance level would be a good solution, that's what happened in Rhino. Unfortunately it causes an whole host of problems to do that, weird stuff like you get a model that has the tolerance set really relaxed, you open it to take a look at stuff, then delete some objects and try drawing a new object at a different scale, and get weird results.

It is hard to remember to check what tolerance was set every time you open someone else's model.

> ps: By the way, will be V1 and V2 compatible considering solid
> objects with that new relative tolerance included in joining
> process (Join command)?

Yeah that will work fine - it will only change the Join calculation itself, once something has been joined and has shared edges, it will be considered a solid in v1 as well.

- Michael