NURB Tutorial for Architecture

1818.32 In reply to 1818.31 
Hi Anis - I haven't tested .3ds export specifically to Indigo, but I just wanted to mention that typically OBJ export is a better way to go since OBJ format can contain additional smoothing information called "vertex normals", which are not able to be stored in the .3ds format.

Having the accurate vertex normals tends to make a much higher quality smooth shading on curved surfaces in the final rendering.

Some programs may have difficulty dealing with n-gons in the OBJ file though, so if you have any problems with OBJ try turning the option for "Output: N-gons" to "Output: Quads & Triangles" instead.

Also some programs may handle the vertex normals better if you turn off welding, to do that expand the meshing options dialog by the little arrow in the lower right corner and uncheck "Weld vertices along edges".

In addition to not having vertex normals, .3ds format also has other limits too, like only being able to have a maximum of 65535 points or faces in a single mesh. It's a much older format and I would usually recommend it only as a kind of last resort if there is no other way to get your data over.

- Michael