Pen Tablet and the button problem

1778.4 In reply to 1778.3 
Hi Renato,

> Actually I wrote in the begining of the Post that I couldn´t
> upload a .3dm file because I´m using the Alternate Trial Version.

Oops, sorry! I was just reading through your message too rapidly and ended up focusing on the pictures!

> Actually I have some other doubts. Sometimes when I use JOIN it
> doesn´t JOIN everything in one, wasn´t it to join all the lines in
> one piece?

Again it is difficult to give you a really proper answer without seeing the particular situation you're talking about (which is hard to do without a model to examine).

There are a few different reasons why Join can fail - if you have pieces that are too far apart (for surfaces edges more than 0.005 units apart) that will prevent them from joining together.

Also you can only join curves that touch end to end. For example if you have 2 lines that touch each other in a "T" type shape, where one is on the midpoint of the other, you can't join those together - Join for curves works by joining segments that touch end to end only.

Similarly you can't join a closed curve to any other curve.

> And I still have some problems with Boolean, like you explained
> about Loft, what are the conditions to Boolean work correctly?

Do you mean for booleans between 2 solids, or between 2 curves, or between a solid and curve?

Generally for a boolean to work, the pieces involved need to intersect one another, and divide the intersected pieces into 2 full halves. For example if you draw a sphere and draw a line from the top view that is inside the sphere, then that line does not fully divide the sphere into 2 regions and a boolean in that case will fail. However, if you make your line long enough so that it clearly separates the sphere into 2 halves, then you can do a boolean with it to cut the sphere.

Similarly if you have 2 solids, they should be intersecting one another and not just nearby each other or only touching each other at a point.

> I´m having some problems with Network too.

From the look of your curves, you have one closed curve along the bottom there - that is kind of a common problem.

For Network to function, it needs the curves to be able to be separated out into a kind of 2D flat map, similar to longitude and latitude lines on a map.

If the curve you have there on the bottom is just one single closed curve, it cannot be arranged like that.

Instead you need to pick an area for a "pole". In this case it could be either at the very top - for that arrangement you could keep the bottom curve all one closed curve, but then use edit Trim on the other 2 to divide those into 4 different shorter curves. With those 4 curves meeting at the top, that is then a latitude/longitude arrangement with that top point being the "north pole" of the map, and the closed curve being like the equator line. That will then work.

The other option is to split the closed curve up into 2 pieces by one of those other shorter curves. Then that will form a kind of "north and south pole" on either side where those curves touch each other in a point, and the one that you did not split with will become like the equator line.

Right now you have something that looks like a pole at the top, but it is not because those are not the ends of the curves - the curve keeps on going over the "north pole" - that makes it not a pole, only when the curves actually end at a spot will it be a pole point.

Does that make sense? Let me know if you need some more information on this one, I can create some illustrations for you if needed.

- Michael