Some puzzling things

Hi
I have had time this morning to do a few experiments. I tried making a simple object in Carrara and then making the same thing in Moi and finally trying to texture the Moi object in 3d-Coat. My findings were this:

1. Objects made in Carrara are simpler to understand when UV mapped because they have less polygons for comparable objects and tend not to be divided up into so many triangles as those exported by MOI.

2. Sometimes the UV map of objects gets screwed up and reversed. Even when joined up properly this can happen (My Giraffe turned inside out). This means that they can't easily be uv mapped or painted on in 3d-Coat.

3. 3d-Coat smoothes everything so that what goes in is not what comes out unless I select many polygons. This results in an object that is still the same shape as the original but with a mesh so dense that it would be impractical to use in a 3d Scene. Or so I believe.

I downloaded deep paint and deep uv last night but they turnerd out to be plugins for Maya and Lightwave.

I have been trying on and off in my spare time to find some simple way to paint textures onto the things I make in moi. I can apply shaders to them in Carrara but really want to be able to give them a texture map. The trouble is that if I unwrap them in something like uvmapper or Carraras uvmapper I cant understand the complex geometric shapes that result. If I try to paint them in a 3d-Coat I have to contend with the problems with mangled shapes and reversed UV's described above.

A lot of you people are making very detailed models and texturing them very well. Do I need a tool that I don't have or is it just a case of perseverance.
Keith