Starting reference

1756.8 In reply to 1756.3 
BurrMan wrote: "Michael, It's just not knowing what "Tangent" means. I dont want to waist your time asking you to teach me what this means. I will "slowly" go through the tutorials and have out my dictionary! If I run across somthing I cant grasp, i'll ask. The bottom line is I need to spend a little time learning some basic languages and concepts."
----------------------
I know exactly what you mean. These terms are best explained by reading any Drafting book or manual. Get one if you're interested. You don't have to finish the whole book. Just the first chapters. Of course, they are written for 2d drafting back in the days when CAD was an unknown term. Things like how to use drafting tools such as T-squares, triangles, a compass, eraser and stuff.

In manual drafting, points of tangencies could be determined by using your drafting tools, ie, T-square, triangles, compass and of course a hard pencil for construction lines. Once they're determined, they could then be used as references to determine center points of arcs or circles. You want those points to help you where to point your compass needle to create arc/s or circles.

In general, points of tangencies are points where individual curves or lines (or curves between curves) meet with very smooth transitions. Which means no perceptible kink on that point. It's a smooth-flowing curve just as if you sketched a curve with a quick stroke.

EDITED: 6 Jul 2008 by BLENDDOODLER