Need Advice Modeling an Organic Model

1748.16 In reply to 1748.3 
Hi Anis,

I used a combination of MoI's tools to make the dog model.

The paws are simple spheres which were *scaled to an approximate oval shape, then control point edited, using the Scaling tools and the Align and Move tools on pairs or groups of points. The head, nose, ears and tongue were also made by control point editing of spheres. A Network Surface was used to make the main body. A 2-rail Sweep would also have worked, but to be able to shape the contours of the body from all sides - front, back, left and right, a network surface seemed to offer more control. Sweeps were used for the limbs and tail. After all the components were constructed, I did a lot of scaling and nudging to position and proportion everything together. The parts were then Booleaned and fillets were applied to soften the seams.

I actually had to go back a few steps in my incrementally saved model and make some revisions after I discovered
the legs were too close together to work as a jewelry model. Here's the final version. As it happened, on this version,
I couldn't get the amount of filleting I wanted on the legs on one side, so I split the model down the middle, deleted
the troublesome side, then mirrored the successfully-filleted side over.

I'll try to do a basic version of your giraffe example later this week with some more details.

Thanks,

Jesse

Edit: Hi Michael, I just tried the frame-edit tool in the new MoI v2 Beta..it definitely makes control point editing easier!
Can it be used to move points as well as scale and rotate?

*Could you also explain how scaling the solid object rebuilds the amount of control points? It makes a big difference in terms of the potential of the object to remain smooth and workable, if that makes any sense. -JDK

EDITED: 15 Jul 2008 by JESSE

Image Attachments:
Size: 253.9 KB, Downloaded: 83 times, Dimensions: 1003x769px
Size: 250.3 KB, Downloaded: 92 times, Dimensions: 867x773px