V2 beta Jul-3-2008 available now

1742.52 In reply to 1742.51 
Hey Brian,
It's actually good to be curious about this stuff. Thats what makes you good at it.

Let me partake.

When you select a checkbox in MoI's options dialog, How does it know you selected that option the next time you open Moi?

The answer is an "ini file". Alot of apps use them. Usually you can find it in the root folder of the application. (It's just a simple text document that the application can read and write to. To store those "Settings".

Do you know what Windows explorer is?

Hit the windows key and E at the same time. then navigate to the MoI folder. (if you dont know what that means I can explain further)

In that folder is where you will find the MoI.ini file. Open it with notepad.

Just look around at first, dont change anything.

In there you will see a bunch of lines that seem odd but you can soon recognize them. As with the checkbox example I started with, there could be a line that say's "checkbox1.state=y" What that could mean is that Michael named one of his checkboxes "checkbox1" and then it has things that can be set like the "state" with a value of Y(es) or N(o)--Checked or unchecked--!. Sometimes 0 means yes and 1 means no. Get it?

What they are talking about is changing the behavior of things in Moi without actually cluttering up the UI with more checkboxes and things. (Soon there would be 50 checkboxes, one for Burr, one for Brian, etc.....).

Ask again if you want more info, I can talk to you about what it is, but for specifics on how to use it, there are others that could answer better.

Burr