Work & Play ~ WIP

Thanks Guys,

Yes MoI is refreshing to model with Moe, it actually has a sort of addictive affect, I think Michael has some subliminal mind altering code in there somewhere ;)

Hi Fredrik,
>>is your regular app. SolidWorks?
No, Siemens NX4

>>Also, do you know the price of tooling for that thing?

Depends on where you get it made, Australia, US ,Europe = quality (most of the time), China for a low budget, but you must find a mouldmaker that appreciates quality, but as the quality goes up so does the price. It also depends on how many parts you intend to produce, you could get a quality mould that would produce parts for 3-5 years before any maintenance or you could get a mould that would last for 10-15 years without touching it, thats where the $$$ come into it.
If you have any more questions on this Fredrik you can PM me.

Hi Michael,
>>What would you say were some of the biggest things that you missed from your main solid modeling app while working in MoI?

It would probably vary from job to job, but for this particular model the main bother was when joining a closed network of surfaces, not knowing which was the offending surface that stopped the model from becoming a solid, so had to anylise the model in another app, did a sheet boundry analysis where it tells you how many boundries you have, 1= solid, more than that you have holes, then it highlights where surface boundries don't match or join, fortunatly for me it was only one surface which I rebuilt easily in MoI and everything was a solid again.

Next, I missed variable filleting, but got around that with network and then there is draft angles, you have to think a little more, for example, it would be nice to place all the holes in your model then apply the draft angle you need later, but it didn't take much longer to draw circle, then line at angle, then revolve and array or copy into positions then a boolean operation.
But If you had alot of ribs in your model it would be a painful process to draw lines at 1 or 2 deg and do boolean difference.
Other than that it was a joy to use on a paying job.

Cheers
~Danny~

EDITED: 21 Jun 2008 by DANTAS