MoI and Silo

1702.3 In reply to 1702.1 
Hi Chris,

From the point of my home use/hobby of modeling:

>>1. Will MoI and Silo compliment each other

Yes,

>>2. Is it overkill to have both MoI and Silo

No. I use MoI along side a poly modeler, at this time Hexagon (I have others that I dont use often). I have used Silo and have given thought of making purchase, I am just waiting to see the release of 2.1
I think both programs have their own strengths, what may be difficult in one can easily be done in the other. Simple example, I would start a model in Moi for base construction where booleans/ complex surfaces can be made without worry of problems with meshes, as the mesh is created on export, any tweaking /subD can then be made in the poly program. It certainly works for me.

>>3. If only one is needed to model what ever might be asked of me to model, which would you choose (non biased please)

I make many types of models as an hobby, so I do use both nurbs and poly, your own needs may differ, so it is difficult to say. For example, if you created only organic models, then you would probably be better just with Silo (due to the subD), but saying that, it can also be easier to build a base model in MoI, with complex surfaces/booleans then export the mesh and finish details in the poly modeler.
I think that due to the very reasonable price of both MoI and Silo (which together can be less than some other products) I think having both is a good option.

4. Would you say forget MoI and Silo and go for....

Difficult to say, as it would depend on your budget, your learning curve, and your needs. Personally I could build just about anything with the combination of MoI+Silo (although my organic models are not too good, the tools are there in those apps)

Regards,