Wish - Loft

1638.11 In reply to 1638.10 
Hi Paul, the extrude + collapse thing goes like this:

Starting with a curve:

Extrude with caps turned off (or use Edit/Separate to break into individual surfaces so you can control point edit):

Now you can select it, and turn on its control points with Edit / Show pts. Switch to a side view and select the top set of points like this:

Now run the Transform / Align command. This allows you to line up objects or points. By default it is in horizontal alignment mode, which forces points to collapse down to a straight horizontal line. So if you pick a point in the middle of the object, the result will be this:

All the selected points were collapsed down to a horizontal line. Now run Transform / Align a second time, and switch the alignment option to be "Vert center" - this will now align everything to a vertical line, if you pick another point in the middle, that will cause the points to be fully collapsed together:

Once the points for one surface edge are fully collapsed down to the same spot, you can then drag that point to some location if you want.

That is the same surface that would be generated by a loft to a point (which is certainly more convenient and I would like to add that).

I do also want to figure out a way to show the start point of a curve, I just haven't quite figured out a good spot to place that yet - I'm going to be working on a kind of properties panel for selected objects in v2, and I want to figure out a place on that panel to pop up a menu with a bunch of additional stuff for an object, this could probably go there.

- Michael