Equal subdivisions with mouse rolling !!

1587.2 In reply to 1587.1 
Hi Pierre, in MoI you can use a construction line to get equal divisions between any 2 points.

For example, if you want equal divisions between these 2 points:

Start by entering a drawing command that picks a point, such as the Line or Circle command. Then move your mouse to the first point:

Push the mouse button down, and hold it down (do not release it right away), and drag your mouse to the second point. Release the mouse when you have snapped over the second point. This dragging motion (as opposed to a press and release) will create a construction line like this:

Notice the little tag that appears above the mouse when you create a construction line - if you press the mouse button and keep it held down for a second on that tag, an option menu will pop up:

One of the options is "Division snap" - if you enter a value in there, new snapping points will be created along that line with your requested number of divisions.

For example, I entered 5 here, so now new snap points are created at 1/5, 2/5, 3/5, etc... Here for example is the snap at 1/5:

The nice thing about this is it is totally "non destructive", that is it allows you to obtain the point you want without modifying existing objects. The Divide option in SketchUp is not just a snap, it actually modifies the edge to be split up into smaller edge pieces. Also the other nice thing about MoI's construction line method is that it allows you to obtain the divisions between any 2 points even if there does not happen to already be a line in the model created between them currently.

Please let me know if you need any more information on how to get that division snap with construction lines to work.

For getting equally spaced points along a curve instead of a line, right now the method to do that is to create a point object, and then use Transform / Array / Curve to replicate that point along the curve in equal distance spacing. Then you can snap on to those replicated points. Let me know if you need more details on how this one works.

- Michael