Moi & linux

1583.35 In reply to 1583.19 
>But unfortunately these other engines are way behind in the kind
>of extensibility that I really need to do a proper job. Mshtml.dll
>has a mechanism in it >called IHTMLPainter that makes it pretty
>easy to make a C++ component that integrates into the browser
>at a very low level, participating directly in the painting of the page.
>The other web platforms just do not have anything similar to this,
>they have instead focused energy only on things accessible to
>script code, stuff like the Canvas element. That's great for other
>types of stuff, but not really for trying to make custom controls
>like I need to do.

May I suggest that using mshtml to draw the interface for your desktop application is like using a hacksaw to open a can of soup? Sure, it might work fine but why would you do that when can openers exist?

Also, QT is plenty customizeable and extensible all by itself. I'm sure it could produce the GUI layout of MoI without the need to hacksaw the soup can with HTML. The newest version of QT can be used as LGPL and thus used in commercial products without a commercial license. The advantage here is that QT apps tend to be quite portable.

Now, the COM issues are a little more difficult. Windows apps tend to get tangled up in COM and other MS goodness really easily. Probably more easily when the coder used to work at MS and probably got exposed to the water over there. ;-) Of course, that's a joke but one rooted in truth. We all are influenced by our experiences and so I'd assume that, unfortunately, code written by someone who used to work at "evil empire incorporated" would likely be inordinately attached to the standards of said corporate.